Sunday, April 29, 2007

Preparations, surgery and beyond

So, I took one week to get my office in order, headed to Boston for a week of vacation. Pam drove all 14 hours each way. I got to ride my bike once before the snow came. Great time visiting with Aunt Mary Ann, who had turned the corner and was finally up and about after her November surgery. Brenda is busy with her little angels. Great news for the littlest cousin, who had good results from her latest test. Watched basketball, ate Pam's great cooking, and socialized.

I was thrilled to meet with two FORCE members, who were very helpful and supportive, giving me advice about my surgeries.

Returned in time to have an early Easter dinner with friends in Auburn Hills. Unfortunately Pam's mom was not feeling well enough to attend.

Bowel prep Sunday. No problem. No fun.

Had to get up by 5 AM to get tot he hospital on time.

The entire hospital stay was interesting, efficient.
I am a lightweight when it comes to sedation and anesthesia. I remember nothing after the nurse came in to wheel me in to the operating room. A few seconds of recollection in the recovery room when first waking up. Hurt all over. Felt like I had delivered a baby. Then pain meds and nothing. Another minute in the recovery room, and nausea meds and then in the room for a few minutes, and then sleep. Frustrating to be told that I could go home the same day, after the doc had told me he would keep me overnight. Finally awake by 5 PM. Craving cola, and drank too much. Got to the bathroom, got lightheaded. Vomited a little then nausea med and sleep again. Woke by 9 PM and felt fine. Rested and was able to log on to chat with the FORCE folks at 10 PM. Slept a little and then awake at 2 AM for my heparin shot, and eyedrops. ( I apparently scratched my cornea as soon as I woke from anesthesia. Better by the next day with antibiotic ointment)

Then both my room mate and I were up for a few hours.

Morning rounds, breakfast, 1/2 pain pill, walk around the ward, feeling fine. Nice talk with the doc and then home. Feeling well enough to walk in to get my prescription filled and to surprise Dara and Kelly.

Then resting in the recliner the rest of Tuesday, all of Weds (by myself) and all of Thursday. Eating well, no pain. Sleeping pretty well.

Friday, ready to straighten the house, a little, and the flowers started arriving. Grandma, Madelyn and Gary visited. Able to sit up straight for 3 hours that day.

Saturday. Trip to James birthday party.

No comments: